Friday, January 20, 2012

New idea with Micah

So a couple of posts back I mentioned that I was going to try something new with Micah.  I realized recently that we don't really have a plan each day.  I mean we have a weekly plan...Tuesday's we go to story time.  Wednesday we have MUGGS.  Thursday and Friday are tot town.  And usually in the afternoons we bake something or make supper together.  Needless to say I felt like I should be teaching him something.  He already knows every word of every item in our house, can count to 11, sing a few different songs, is slowly memorizing the gist of a few books, plays nicely with Jacob and is my official doorman every where we go.  So I've kinda slacked off on the teaching since Jacob was born because it seems like Micah already knows everything.

Well since he doesn't have Awana or sunday school yet I realized I could start teaching him Bible stories.  I found a book about Jonah at the local Salvation Army for $0.25 and he loved it so this was my idea.  Every week we would study a different Bible story.

On Sunday because of J's nap schedule we weren't able to go to church so we started that day.  We read his new Jonah book, then we read the story of Jonah in his toddler Bible.  The next day we read the Jonah book again and then for his prenap video we started the Veggie Tales movie about Jonah.  I also asked him questions about it to see if he was retaining the info.  Stuff like that.  Today we read the Jonah book again and I went into the next room for a brief moment and I could hear him talking about the story.  I heard snippets about Jonah disobeying God, going to Ninevah, etc.  Then later when we were wrapping up the week and what we had learned I mentioned a few things and then on his own he said, "and God is everywhere."  Yay!  So not only is he remembering the story but he's picking up lessons too!  That was pretty neat.  Then we prayed together.  Which in itself is adorable.  He always says, " Dear Jesus, help me to be a good boy."  So cute I have to try not to laugh when he does it. 



Anyway next week we'll be starting David and Goliath.  I'll keep you posted.  Oh and on a side note I've been waiting all day to hear about my new little niece.  My sister in law has been at the hospital all day!  The horrible snow is keeping me from going down and waiting in the waiting room with two little boys under the age of 3...Oh wait, thanks God for the snow otherwise I'd be sitting in a waiting room with two little boys :)  I'll go tomorrow with my handsome chauffer anyway.  Signing off!

2 comments:

  1. it's amazing how well he learns! good for you for establishing a solid routine! also, as soon as my diet's over, i'm totally going to make those carmelita's! the look sooooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,
    I am not surprised about Micah's learning ability. What a good way to reinforce the lesson by doing it in different ways. Good job!
    love you all, Mom

    ReplyDelete